How to Grow Dill Plants

I have dill plants that re-seed themselves each year. I never buy dill seeds anymore (after the first packet of dill seeds that I had ever bought.)

I will have dill plants for the rest of my life unless I stop watering my garden altogether. I love gardening so that's never going to happen.

Check out my other dill plant posts to learn more about why I love dill so much!

You can grow your own dill plants too! Here's how :


Step 1

Buy a packet of dill seeds.


Step 2

Plant the entire packet of dill seeds.


Step 3

Keep the soil moist until the seeds sprout or else the seeds will dry out. Then they won't ever germinate (sprout into a plant). Keep the soil moist until the baby dill plants are healthy.


Step 4

Keep caring for and growing one dill plant until it flowers. Then the dill plant will grow it's seeds. Then the dill seeds will dry out and start falling.

Once seeds are falling off of the plant on their own it's time to harvest some seeds. Pick some of the driest seeds from the dill plant, bring these seeds inside of your house, dry them out and save some of the seeds so that you can plant them next year.

Depending on the weather in your area you might be able to get away with growing dill plants all year long.


Step 5


Make sure that you plant at least one dill plant each year to keep the cycle going.

A dill plant that is allowed to fully mature, naturally will re-seed itself, That means that you will have a healthy, carefree, dill patch every year with little or no maintenance!


It's that easy to grow your own dill seasoning which you can use to flavor :

dill pickles, soups, meats, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment